Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

Last year I had decided I wanted to go back to school.

But did I?

Nopers.

Here's the scoop. I wanted to take continuing education courses at Ryerson. My friend Lisa has attended classes there for several years and now works there so occasionally I'll visit the main building (the one next to the Eaton Centre) and it does seem like a really great place.

But I'd just missed the enrollment deadline and I sort of forgot about it by the time the fall and winter registrations rolled around. So I dropped by the Ryerson CE website today and summer registration begins on February 23. I'll be spending the next one and a half weeks deciding what to take.

I've narrowed it down to a Media program or a random History course.

Specifically, I want to begin a series of what would be 7 writing based courses that would eventually grant me a Certificate in Media Writing Fundamentals. It would take me at least a year to get, but at the end I'd have a handy dandy piece of paper showing that I am capable of writing for several different mediums including radio, animation, factual programs (docs, reality tv), comedy, etc.

As for the history course, it'd pretty much be a throw of the dice. The Fall of Rome, the Holy Crusades, The American Civil War, I don't care. I love it all.

I shouldn't make it seem like I have a Sophie's choice to make, as I've written this blog I basically convinced myself what to do, to go for the Media certificate. I was hoping writing it out would help me come to the right answer, so yay, thanks Blog!

Basically, the media courses could really help me with different employment opportunities in the future whereas the history ones are just for fun. I supposed that's really the only point worth considering. Furthermore, I might be lucky enough that my current employer Nextfilm would give me a few bucks to put towards the courses. From their point of view, cultivating a new talent? I dunno, just gimme some money!

Looking at it on the big canvas that is my life, I'd really love to get into the habit of just taking a weekly course every semester or two for the rest of my life, for example, maybe I won't take the History of the Third Reich or Gothic Horror course this summer...but definitely one day. As a lot of you know, I'm fairly anti-social, I don't go to bars (I have some wonderful friends who meet every Tuesday night just 15 minutes away and I never go cause well, I'm anti-social), I really only ever go out to movies or comedy shows so as geeky as it is, going to school part-time would probably be my best bet at meeting some great new people...that I can also ignore!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment